Teaching Reciprocity Agreements Between States

While there are intergovernmental agreements on the reciprocity of learning licences, these agreements can be confusing for those trying to transfer their apprenticeship licence or certificate from one state to another. Simply put, while states may have agreements with other countries that the education or test requirements are equivalent between the two, a state can (and often does) impose its own national requirements under the Intergovernmental Reciprocity Agreement. The survey allowed teachers to select more than one factor that played an important role in any decision to return to the classroom, and reciprocity was not assessed among the top four. On the other hand, it is likely that this percentage would be much higher for former teachers who had in the meantime moved to another state. A problem with this view is that there is only a modest relationship between a person`s ability to do good during a certification test and their performance in the classroom. Some have argued that this is due to insufficient paper and pencil exams, but even the performance-based EdTPA has, according to a recent study, limited value in assessing teachers` contributions to student performance. Answer: “Recipinity” is a bit wrong when it comes to teacher certification. In all 50 U.S. states and Washington, D.C., you must obtain a learning license from the state in which you wish to work before teaching in a public school. This means that you cannot transfer your learning license directly from one state to another. However, most countries have what is more specifically called “information on reciprocity in teacher enrolment.” This means that most countries consider the teacher tests, experience and university degrees you have obtained in another country as the basis for granting a new apprenticeship licence.

Countries participating in the NASDTEC agreement generally follow the same rules for the recognition of non-governmental learning licences, but each state has specific requirements to meet before they can teach there. Some legal systems consider themselves to be “total reciprocity” and have no additional requirements. However, many jurisdictions require additional requirements for educators in other states or jurisdictions. These are called Jurisdiction Specific Requirements (JSRs). The educator may need to take JSRs such as course work, evaluations or teaching experience before obtaining a full professional certificate in a new state. JSRs can often depend on the long experience of the teacher. Meanwhile, teachers moving to Minnesota have found a particularly Kafkaesque certification process waiting for them. Despite concrete guidelines from the national legislature to facilitate reciprocity, it is almost impossible for non-state teachers to obtain a licence without launching a brand new training program.